Sunday, May 15, 2011

"The race - every race - is a fight" Gino Bartali





Today I rode a time trial which felt like a fight.  I was fighting the bike, the wind, my demons and my desire to stop. The last three miles alone (of twenty five), felt good. I've finally perfected my race preparation but only to result in a pretty terrible performance.  My muscles feel like I've been in a fight.

One day everything will come together.  Of this much I am certain.  It probably won't even matter to me how fast I go.  Just that body and mind will be on the same page.








The beauty of time trialing is that you've ridden best part of 50km before 10 o'clock in the morning.  This means you still have the rest of the day  to find consolation for a hopeless performance.  Being the lucky girlfriend of a famous cafe owner, I found my comfort in meeting Guy Andrews, Mr Kadir Guirey and Herbie Sykes at the signing of the latter's new book "Maglia Rosa: Triumph and Tragedy at the Giro d' Italia".  Three more lovely gentlemen you could not wish to meet.

I have to confess that I haven't read the book yet, but am able to say that it looks beautiful.  I stole the headline quotation from its pages.  It seemed appropriate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment