Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dylan Thomas

The Prayer of Eli Jenkins from "Under Milk Wood" - Dylan Thomas

Over the years I have learnt a great deal from my students.  This week, a very special member of my adorable sixth form Latin class introduced me to this prayer-poem.  Not only has he lent me his copy of collected Dylan Thomas poems, but also insisted on reading it to me, complete with Welsh accent.

It is beautiful.

The pictures are from Seaham in the summer.



Every morning when I wake,

Dear Lord, a little prayer I make,
O please to keep Thy lovely eye
On all poor creatures born to die.

 And every evening at sun-down
I ask a blessing on the town,
For whether we last the night or no
I'm sure is always touch-and-go. 

We are not wholly bad or good
Who live our lives under Milk Wood,
And Thou, I know, wilt be the first
To see our best side, not our worst. 

O let us see another day!
Bless us this night, I pray,
And to the sun we all will bow
And say, goodbye - bye just for now






No comments:

Post a Comment