Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mad as a March Hare


I cycled out to Hog Hill today so that I could support team mates Anna, Lydia and Helen.  It was ELV's "March Hare" race.  Last year I attacked with Helen and on the final climb, she sprinted away to take the win.  This year Lydia was our star, only pipped at the post by the lovely Karla Boddy.


On my way to the race course I started thinking, which is always a dangerous activity.  I didn't just want to support from the sidelines.  If I could start then it might encourage the team.  Signing on didn't have to mean riding so hard my lungs might burst.  It wouldn't even have to mean finishing.


I knew Anna was nervous and I wanted to make her feel less scared.  I wanted them to know that they are important to me.  I also wanted to support ELV in putting on another women's race!  Cheers, guys!


So I started with the aim of completing eight laps of the course.  The rest of the girls would have to do about 16 or 17 in the hour long race.  I think I finished on 11 or 12 laps.  Debbie the first aid lady kept telling me to stop once I hit eight.  I couldn't because I was having too much fun.


Last year I came second at this race.  This year I think I was dead last.  My sense of achievement is undiminished.  Well done to everyone who raced today. Thank you ELV for putting the race on.  Thank you to everyone who made my day special.

1 comment: