Saturday, May 23, 2015

Five blogs to get you through it

There are a few blogs which I like to follow.  Five, in fact.

They often give me inspiration to find a way through my chaos.  Click on the pictures for a link to their wise words.

The first is Kris Carr:



Kris is sunshine distilled into human form. Reading her books has completely changed my approach to what I eat and she has made me evaluate the sort of life I want to lead.   She is well known in the US but I've met more women who have heard about her this time around on my trip about the chemo-ward.


Then there is the dynamo that is Jen Hanks:




She is a professional mountain biker who has been through chemo twice.  Her own journey gave me hope.  She has generously taken the time to reply to my comments and reposted her chemo training diaries so that I could pick through the details of how she had managed to kept herself fit and well. Her advice that a day on the bike, no matter how slow or painful, will always lift you out of a chemo slump is right on the money.


Legend Eddie Sutton writes a blog about ultra running.  But it is more than that.  She is an extraordinary woman:





I met her while teaching at Godolphin and Latymer school.  Eddie was a remarkable triathlete at that time and I just about managed to keep up with her as we ran along the Thames before work.  It was tough going!  I couldn't keep up with her now but find her honesty and perseverance humbling.


Cecilia Hazlerigg writes a reflective blog linked to her counselling blog, Telos Therapy. Cecilia is on the right of this picture. The other lady, Dr Jen Hewitt,  is equally awesome and helped me return to fitness after my first encounter with chemotherapy.





I like Cecilia's writing because she is frank and open about her feelings.   She has introduced me to mindfulness and although I am not an accomplished practitioner, I have found it to be an invaluable tool throughout my cancer treatment.

Rachel Musson is another cancer thriver.  She is a beautiful person, inside and out.




She was an incredible friend to me when I was going through treatment for the first time.  Her writing is compelling and colourful.  She makes me feel at ease with the world and happy with my place in it.




No comments:

Post a Comment